Mineral makeup may seem like a new addition to the mainstream makeup world, but it’s origins actually go back to ancient times. Traditionally, natural minerals were ground up to enhance or camouflage the skin until mineral makeup officially went commercial in the 70s!
Your skin will thank you for making the switch to natural makeup, and here are our 4 reasons why:
4 benefits of using Mineral Makeup Powder
Built-in sun protection
Living in the harsh Aussie weather means we’re constantly battling with the risk of sun-exposure, even when the sun isn’t out. Mineral makeup powders use titanium dioxide and zinc oxide which naturally provide a level of sun protection from UVA and UVB, equivalent to around SPF 15. However, we always recommend this as an addition to your regular sun-protection, as we all know the Australian sun is especially harsh, exposing you to damaging ultraviolet rays.
Great for acne prone or sensitive skin types
Dealing with sensitive skin is always tough when it comes to face products, including makeup. A good quality mineral makeup free of the warning signs above is an ideal choice for those who have anything from redness, itchiness, irritation, pimples or acne. It not only assists in concealing any imperfections without further irritation, but research suggests that anti-irritating ingredients such as zinc can assist in soothing skin as well. Often makeup can be a culprit when it comes to irritation and acne, so break the cycle with a mineral powder!
It feels like a second-skin
When applied correctly, mineral makeup doesn’t even feel like you’re wearing anything! Many conventional makeups contain talc which can give a less-pigmented formulation and the need for more layers – eek. Mineral powders containing zinc oxide and mica are lightweight and breathable, so they’re perfect for those who don’t enjoy the look or feel of wearing makeup, but still want to look and feel their glowing best.
Because of how natural mineral powder is, it can be used as a multi-use product for anywhere on your face. Think lip colour, blush, highlighter, eyeshadow, eyeliner and without the need to worry about irritation. In addition, mineral powders are easily blend-able which means you can mix to match your own skin tone.
What is the best mineral powder?
We might be a bit biased, but our EVOHE Colours Mineral Powder is a winner. There’s no extras that may cause irritation and as a bonus, you can mix it with our completely natural skincare for a glowy/dewy or matte finish, depending on your product choice (that’s the revolutionary part).
Our mineral powder is makeup that FEELS like skincare. It is light, breathable and gives your skin glowing natural protection, coverage and hydration. It’s made of 100% pure minerals as well as being vegan, natural, cruelty free, palm oil free and suitable for ALL skin types – even sensitive and acne prone.
So how does the EVOHE Colours makeup revolution work?
This step by step simple natural makeup application is perfect for those who prefer a liquid foundation rather than wearing mineral powder naturally. And it’s as simple as 1, 2, 3.
Step 1 – Choose your mineral makeup colour
Choose from our six mineral makeup colours (remember you can mix these colours easily to get a perfect match) and sprinkle into your palm. The more powder you use, the more coverage you will get.
- Mocha: Suited to darker complexions
- Olive: Suited to olive skin tones
- Medium: Suited to most skin tones, gives a warm and healthy glow
- In-between: Suited to complexions in-between Fair and Medium
- Fair: Suited for light complexions
- Fairer Than Fair: Suited for those with pale or porcelain complexions
Step 2 – Choose your skincare care to mix with
Choose from our three skincare bases to get the finish you desire. Add one or two pumps to your palm with the mineral powder.
- Omega 3.6.9 – Gives skin a natural, dewy/glowy finish. Great for those with aging skin or dry skin to provide nourishment all day long.
- Moisture Lite – Gives a matte finish for all skin types.
- Repair Intensive – Gives a matte finish great for sensitive and acne prone skin types. We recommend Repair Intensive as this product contains potent, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory naturopathic grade herbs which heal and nourish the skin while you wear makeup.
Step 3 – Mix together!
Once you’ve got both the mineral powder and skincare in your palm, it’s time to mix them together. Apply with your fingertips evenly all over your face like you would a moisturiser.
Finish your look and add some natural glam:
Blush & Bronze
Finishing with blush and bronze can give your skin more of a healthy glow. Our mineral blush powder gives soft, rosy highlights for all skin tones. Apply to the apples of your cheeks using a brush and brush it up the cheekbone – just smile and see where these are! Our mineral bronze powder gives your skin earthy, sun-kissed highlights. Apply on the areas of the skin that naturally hit the light (e.g. forehead, nose and brow bone) and use as a contour under cheekbones for a little definition.
For a concealer type coverage, we recommend using the 3 step method above and mixing more powder to your skincare base. To avoid a thick, heavy makeup feeling, we recommend applying makeup regularly over the face and then mixing a thicker concealer consistency to cover up areas that need for coverage. We’ve seen great results in covering tattoos, birthmarks, scars and acne with this method!
Try mixing your mineral blush with the Omega 3.6.9 and add to lips for a super hydrating tinted lip moisturiser.
Mineral makeup tips & tricks
- Use a hydrating mist before and after application for extra hydration and better blending.
- Start with a damp face before applying makeup for a smoother application.
- Add a mask into your skincare routine at least 1-3 times per week for a smooth base.
- When applying powder with a brush, always tap it on the rim of the container to remove excess powder. Try to avoid blowing on the brush as this can introduce additional bacteria onto your skin.
- To avoid a dirty or caked on look, apply powder in the direction of hair growth.
- Before applying any eyeshadow, apply powder to lids to conceal any pink tones and provide an even coloured base for application.
- Dust a small amount of mineral makeup on the lower lash line to stop mascara smudging below.
- For a natural lip liner, apply mineral makeup to your lips and then use a damp cotton bud to remove from your lips, leaving a natural outline!